Bargain Books

Tuesday is the day we try to reserve for family time since the only other day Gregg has off from work is Sunday which we view as a day to be given to church, for personal instruction and encouragement, service to our Youth Group, and opportunities for fellowship after the services are over at the building we meet at.


This past Tuesday we thought we'd check out the Crown Books store that opened up near our house.  It's a used bookstore and with the coupon we received in the mail, I thought we might find some good books on discount.  We only had a little bit of spending money, so we ended up going with just Hop On Pop for under $3.  The book is kind of our family joke because Leala likes to literally hop on Gregg's stomach when he's lying on the floor trying to relax, either after a long day at work, or not long after dinner [laughs].  When Leala would hop on Gregg, I'd tell him I had a book as a kid titled Hop On Pop, so it was funny when he found it in the store.  Sifting through the stacks of books, I came across several I had as a kid.  It was funny hearing other customers commenting on the books they found that brought back childhood memories.  Gregg had me read one he remembered reading in elementary school.


It's been neat seeing Leala take more of an interest in the book collection we've been building for her.  One of the books she lets Gregg read all the way through to her is Dr. Seuss's ABC which he got for free at a shelter after he volunteered there when we last had the big local wildfires a few years ago.  Watching Gregg read with Leala has brought back special memories of my dad teaching me to read when I was little.  Being parents now ourselves, it blesses me to see the things we get to pass on to the next generation. 


I love finding books at discounted prices for Leala!  At the beginning of this year, when we decided to peruse our local 99 Cent Only Store for fun, I found 1, 2, 3, Cook (Ratatouille)I've also discovered that our local Dollar Tree store has great books too and have spotted ones my aunt has gotten for Leala as gifts like Excuse Me: A Story About Interrupting, Kid's Playtime Prayers, and Kid's Friendship Prayers.


I'm sure you've noticed that Target has a dollar section.  I found Turtles Take Their Time (Rabbits Really Rush) for $1 before the Easter holiday this year.

As I've been trying to find links to these books, I'm realizing that you really have to get these books when you see them in the store because you may not be able to get them later, and definitely not for only a dollar.


A friend of mine posted some tips about Buying Books Affordably recently on her blog.  As she mentioned, I have also bought books at a discount on half.com, in library bookstores, at thrift stores, and as I wrote in my post, Little Treasures, at a rummage sale.

2 comments:

  1. Amy Claxton-DambrosiJuly 16, 2011 at 10:13 AM

    cant wait to try the crown books :O) my kids also LOVE to read and get books!!

    ReplyDelete