Flip Flop Decorating Party [Sneak Preview]

One week from today I'll be hosting a Flip Flop Decorating Party for the girls in our church's youth group.  It was my friend, Kayla's idea to provide an opportunity for the girls to get to know each other better and what a fun and creative way to do it!

[Kayla Burt's photo]

All of us girl youth leaders have been excited about the party, especially when Old Navy had their $1 flip flop sale last month!


On Thursday, my friend, Vanessa helped me get these tote bags started.  We thought this would be a convenient way to send the girls home with a memento of the theme verse God put on Kayla's heart, to go with their decorated flip flops.  I have lots of tulle from my wedding 4 years ago and thought making the bags out of that would be a nice way to tote the flip flops while showing off the girls' works of art.  They are so easy to make!  The bags are a folded piece of 14" x 11" tulle with the sides sewn up, the top folded over about 1 inch and sewn all the way around, and a slit cut on one side above the stitch for the drawstring to go through.  The drawstring is a 1/2 inch wide piece of cut fabric about 35 inches long.  I put a safety pin on one end of the drawstring to help send it through the top of the bag.  Once it's all the way through, I tie the two ends together with a knot. 


I wish I could post a picture of the box full of embellishments Judy got for the girls to put on their flip flops, the theme verse mementos Dalana made or the button-adorned flip flop prototype Kayla made.  I guess you'll just have to stay tuned for that.  [smiles]

2 comments:

  1. so exciting! the baggies were looking great, can't wait to see the finished products!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is such a cute idea! I'm sure the girls in your youth group will have a blast decorating them!

    :) Megan
    letterstorome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete