A Father's Legacy

 

I took advantage of not being able to sleep since sometime after 3:00 am Sunday morning and made my dad a Father's Day card.  Saturday I was reminiscing over the childhood memories I had of my dad:  the painting that hung on the wall at my grandma's house depicting my dad bottle feeding me and the story of the special formula my dad concocted to remedy my colic as a baby; his special recipes like tuna sandwiches for our family picnics, messy malts over the summer, yummy seasoned mashed potatoes, hamburger macaroni from scratch, the English muffin pizzas he learned how to make from my grandpa, and the pumpkin pie filling he'd make to fill my mom's homemade pie crust at Thanksgiving.  But one of my favorite memories of my dad is growing up hearing him play worship songs on his guitar.  As I was thumbing through an old album, looking for a good photo to post on Facebook as my profile picture to honor my dad for Father's Day, the one of me standing next to my dad while he's playing guitar stood out to me.

When I moved out of my parents' house to get married, getting to hear my dad play worship everyday was one of the things I missed the most.  But then Gregg decided to pick up our guitar and teach himself to play.  His diligence to practice paid off and now Leala gets to grow up with the memory of her daddy playing worship on his guitar.

 

This video was shot at Christmas and I think was the first time Leala took interest in trying to strum Gregg's guitar when he was playing it.  These days Leala's strum is more steady so when Gregg presses down the chords it sounds more like a song.  I'll have to get that on video sometime. 


Father's Day was so special getting to spend it with my family and honoring my dad, my brother and my husband. 


My brother gave Gregg a really nice card that read:

For A
Wonderful Brother
On Father's Day

God,
in His wisdom,
brings hearts together-
joining them as a family
in His love.

Father's Day gives me a chance to say how proud I am of you and how thankful I am that God has placed us in the same family.

I thank my God every time I remember you.
PHILLIPIANS 1:3 NIV

May This Father's Day Bring You
Happiness And Love

Then my brother wrote a personal note:

Gregg,

May God bless you and your family!  I know you will be setting the standard for #1 Dad so watch out I'll be following closely.

Love your brother,
Rusty

The card also came with a cool pen.  Both my dad and Gregg got thoughtful cards from my brother with a pen.

I was so happy to get to replace the pocket Bible Gregg lost - after being such a great husband and cleaning up my substantial throw up mess at Souplantation a couple weeks ago - as a Father's Day gift, to honor him and show how appreciative I am of what a great father he's been to Leala.  He even puts his mouth up to my stomach and talks to Ruth Anne and gives her kisses.  He did that when I was pregnant with Leala too.


I personalized this Bible with Gregg's favorite wedding picture of us, a photo of our family that can be changed out as we grow, a photo of his family, and a poem that I wrote.

Christ-like love is what has shown through
From the time that I first met you.
You're patient, kind and compassionate too.
You love to help others and are a servant, it's true.
I am so thankful to God that He chose you to be
A caring father to our children and a loving husband to me.

Yolanda Fields

I realize that having a father in one's life, and a good one at that, can be a rare treasure these days.  I am thankful for the father I have been blessed to have and that Leala has a father in her life.

3 comments: