Project Thankful

 {photo found here}

Today I visited my friend's blog to see if she had posted anything recently and really appreciated the thoughts she shared in this post.  I have been feeling blessed a lot lately!  I even told Gregg this evening that I feel like a spoiled child with the things God keeps giving me and our family!  Just today I was thinking about the story of Job in the Bible and how much God had blessed him and I remembered what Satan told God:
 
"You have always put a wall of protection around him and his home and his property. You have made him prosper in everything he does. Look how rich he is!  But reach out and take away everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face!"

I thought to myself, "What if God takes away all my possessions?  Would my attitude towards Him change?  Would I stop praising Him?  Would I get mad at Him?"  Unfortunately, looking back at my track record, I would probably defame God's character... until the trial passed and I could see a little more clearly.

It's bothered me lately too that when asked what I'm thankful for I'm always listing the things I possess.  Would I still be thankful if those things got taken away (my husband, children, health, safety, etc.)?  What if my foundation for feeling blessed and being thankful were built on God's character alone?

I'll never forget this one teaching from one of our pastors at our church!  He asked if we loved God for the things He gave us, or if we loved the Giver Himself?  Boy, did that cut to the heart!  I am often guilty of loving God for the good things He gives me rather than just for who He is.

I think assigning myself "Project Thankful" is in order so the next time I'm tested in this area, I will have a strong foundation to stand on, built on the Giver and not on the things given.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Yolanda,

    I love this post and I have to say I am not one to usually comment on blogs. I really like the Idea of the "Project Thankful" in fact I was thinking of doing this with our family. It's so easy sometime to get weighed down with everyday things that we need to stop and count our blessings. I have a friend that in one year her and her husband both lost there jobs and almost lost there house. They did this same concept that year and she told me to look back at all the Lord had brought them through was a blessing in itself.

    Have a great day!
    Dalana

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome Dalana! Yeah, you reminded me of something Kay Smith wrote in our "Reflecting God" Women's Bible Study. In the chapter, "She Is Joyful in Trials," she wrote:

    "This is one of the secrets that will keep you from ever having a mental breakdown - always be thankful, and keep remembering the things God has done so you can be thankful."

    That for me is helpful because it encourages me to focus more on His character. When I remember what He's already done for me, then I'm reminded that He's FAITHFUL and He'll continue to be, especially in hard times.

    Thanks for leaving a comment. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love this idea. your jar will be full of things to be thankful for :)
    i've been feeling really angry at God for a few months now. it comes in waves. today got better though, when one of the kindergarten teachers came in and shared that she had received a letter from jail addressed to a student in her her class. it was from the student's father. because neither teacher nor student read spanish, she asked me to read it and i had to choke back tears as i read it. he said he was so sorry for everything he'd done, and how much his decisions had made his family suffer. he swore that if he got a second chance he would be a better man. but his second chance won't come for another 16 years.
    i wanted to get on my knees and beg forgiveness for how ungrateful i've been. even though things aren't going the way i want, i am SO blessed regardless. like jon foreman says, "every breath is a second chance."
    sorry this comment was SOOO long!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing Vanessa, and I don't mind your long comment. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. By the way, "Project Thankful" was more of an intellectual personal assignment rather than an actual physical one using pen, paper and a jar. I just liked that picture I found on the web and thought it would go well with my post topic. BUT, since you guys seem to think the actual jar is a good idea, I think I may do just that but with my own twist; writing down the things about God that I'm thankful for. And I may just do a follow up post to this project.

    ReplyDelete